Wednesday 13 October 2010

Make-Up in the Teaser Trailer

Make-up was briefly discussed in the previous ‘behind the scenes’ post. This post focuses on a more in depth look at the make-up used in our teaser trailer. The previous post can be viewed here: http://motionlesspictures010.blogspot.com/2010/10/behind-scenes-filming-progress.html Make-up is often used to improve or alter the appearance of a person’s body. This is a common practice in film, in which the make-up process can last hours depending on the look that needs to be achieved. Due to problems with time during the filming process, there was often not enough time to spend doing make-up in such a professional way. In many of the scenes we filmed, I (as the actress) wore none. This is uncommon in a film production, though it may have some advantages. The lack of make-up makes the protagonist appears more natural, which may make her more relatable among ‘ordinary’ teenage girls, and may give the film a more realistic sense. The main scene in which we did use make up was the scene in the janitor’s closet, in which we attempted to make the protagonist appear dead. Make-up used in scene: • Foundation no. 1 ‘Light’ • Talcum Powder • Black pencil eyeliner • Blue liquid eyeliner • Black eye shadow • Purple eye shadow • Blue eye shadow • Blue lip gloss • Ben Nye Stage Blood Steps in Make-up application 1. The first thing I did was brush my hair back from around my face and remove my piercings. This ensures that the make-up will not get into the hair and will be even around the area where my piercings are. 2. The first step in the actual application of the make-up was to add a thin layer of foundation to my face. I had to use the lightest shade because my skin is very pale; foundation works best if it looks natural and to do this it is important to have a shade as similar to the skin as possible. Normally foundation would be used to hide skin imperfections but in this case its purpose was to make the powder and the rest of the make-up stick to my face better. 3. Next, I applied a layer of talcum powder to face. The foundation helped here as the powder does not stick to the face naturally. Using white powder gives the pale look commonly associated with horror movies and death. 4. I then applied a thin layer of the black eyeliner. This was more for the characterisation than to accomplish the look of death, as we were trying to develop a specific look for the character. I also smudged the eyeliner, as crying, heat, being left in a sink, and the body beginning to deteriorate all would have played a part of making it run. 5. I applied blue, purple and black eye shadow to eyes. This gives the appearance of bruised eyes. Darker eyes are common when imitating death but this also furthers the implication that the character has been tortured. 6. Next, I applied a thin layer of blue eye shadow to my face and a mix of the blue eye shadow and blue lip gloss on my lips. This is because bodies typically take a bluish tone after death due to lack of oxygen, particularly around the lips, eyes and nails. 7. With most of the make-up done, I then brushed my hair forward again and dampened it to give it a messy and stiffened look. 8. Finally, I applied the stage blood to my face and any other necessary areas, including the clothes and even some of my hair. This was to show how badly the protagonist had been tortured before her ‘death’. The blood was used again in the stairwell scene when the girl is being tortured. The bruising effect made by the mix of black, blue and purple eye shadow was also used on my wrists in the closet scene. This is because the scene when the girl’s hands were bound originally used rope, which would create a bruising effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment